Match report – Banbury Utd 2 Gainsborough Trinity 2

Match report – Banbury Utd 2 Gainsborough Trinity 2

By . Webmaster
8th September
Share via

Late drama earns United a replay

Saturday 7th September

FA Cup First Qualifying Round

An injury-time equaliser saw United grab a fully deserved draw which earned them a replay in North Lincolnshire on Tuesday evening. Three of the goals come from the penalty spot but this was a clean and skilful game.

The visitors made life difficult for the Puritans by constantly closing them down and smothering their passing game. The closest that anyone got to an opening goal came in the 17th minute when a right-wing cross from Giorgio Rasulo flashed across Joe Green's goal and just eluded the outstretched boots of both Ricky Johnson and Jaanai Gordon. Three minutes later a Sam Topliss shot was deflected over home 'keeper Jack Harding, who reacted quickly to tip the ball over the crossbar.

Gainsborough took the lead in the 30th minute when Connor Roberts brought down Trinity's danger man Curtis Morrison, and Ashley Worsfold's perfectly hit spot-kick flew just out of Harding's reach and into the corner of the net to put the visitors ahead.

Banbury came out after the interval with much more purpose and very nearly equalised in the first minute when, following a right-wing corner, the ball was only partly cleared and fell to Lee Henderson 18 yards out. His goal-bound shot was deflected onto the post and rebounded back into play.

United were to rue their luck again in the 58th minute when Johnson headed a loose ball to Roger Ngaah Bosio on the edge of the penalty area. His fierce effort beat Green but struck the outside of the opposite post and went out for a goal kick.

At the other end, and rather against the run of play, a Trinity attack on the left saw a cross by Morrison bundled into the net by Hannah but the goal was ruled out for offside.

Banbury were getting on top now and their pressure eventually told in the 75th minute when Gordon raced along the bye-line and he was brought down by Joe Maguire. He got up to blast the ball home from the penalty spot and give United a deserved equaliser. The home side then went close just two minutes later when Johnson's header went just over the bar flowing a right-wing corner. Two minutes later and Banbury went close again, this time when Claudio Dias' effort went close, after lovely attacking play up the right.

Banbury now had four forwards on the pitch so it was once more against the run of play that Trinity took the lead on 85 minutes. Again Morrison was involved, attacking down the right and laying the ball back to Topliss, whose high ball to the far post caused confusion in the Banbury defence and fell kindly for Kingsley James to score.

However, in the third minute of injury time, and with United surging forward, John Mills was brought down by the luckless Maguire, and Gordon tucked his second penalty away to give Banbury a very well deserved second crack at the tie on Tuesday night.

Banbury United:- Jack Harding, Connor Roberts, Gedeon Okito (Pablo Haysham 54), Jack Westbrook, Charlie Hawtin, Giorgio Rasulo, Ricky Johnson, Claudio Dias, Roger Ngaah Bosio (John Mills 66), Lee Henderson, Jaanai Gordon.
Subs not used: Eddie Odhiambo, Denilson Silva, Ryan MacDonald, Charlie Barnett.

Gainsborough Trinity:- Joe Green, Sam Topliss, Jamie Green, Nathan Hutte, Joe Maguire, Nathan Stainfield, Harry Middleton, Simon Russell, Ashley Worsfold (Ross Hannah 49), Kingsley James, Curtis Morrison.
Subs not used: Shane Clarke, Brodie Litchfield, Brandon Horton, Tom Davie, Elliott Wilson, Callum Fielding.

Man of the Match, as selected by match sponsors Smiths Newsagents – Janaai Gordon

Attendance – 473

Share via